Saturday, May 31, 2008

Touring means carrying stuff...



I picked up my racks this week and installed them on the Surly. These are made by a German company called Tubus. They are lightweight steel racks capable of carrying 90pounds on the rear and 30 pounds on the front. The racks come with a warranty card that promises that if the racks break in the first three years, they will send a replacement to you via courier, anywhere in the world. (Click on any picture to see a larger version)




The Front racks are simple, light and very sturdy. They mount to both sides of the fork as well as to the dropout lugs.



Here are the front and rear racks on the bike



And here is a shot with my Ortlieb Classic Panniers mounted. I have rear bags, but not the smaller version designed for the fronts. I'll be watching Craigslist and Ebay for a used pair.



I love these panniers. They are essentially big waterproof bags, but they are really well made, they can hold a ton of gear and they have an ingenious latching mechanism for attaching to the rack. Dan used a pair of these when we rode in France a few years ago and I was sold. When we got back from that trip, I returned the REI bags I had been using and bought a pair of these


No comments: